Communications Project Manager
The Communications Project Manager will be the day-to-day operational lead for marketing and communications strategies that support FishWise’s mission. The Communications Project Manager will help to refine and continue to implement a strong and consistent FishWise brand identity, as well as provide marketing and communications support for FishWise staff, programs, and partnerships. The Communications Project Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (50%)
- Develop persuasive messages that support core organization-wide initiatives, programs, and organizational mission; ensure messages are accurately and consistently communicated by staff
- Serve as a resource, coach, and mentor to staff regarding communications
- Principle copy-editor for FishWise communications
- Manage and grow FishWise’s social media presence
- Oversee the production and distribution of FishWise materials in print and online formats to educate the public and promote FishWise’s mission
- Oversee FishWise’s profile and brand management
- Oversee website look, feel, and content development
- Manage FishWise press releases and general media relations
- Work with Executive Director on opposition strategy and communications
- Lead graphic design work for all FishWise communications
- Enhances FishWise’s communications expertise by attending conferences/trainings
In Support of Business Partnerships (40%)
- Support consumer education and marketing efforts across all FishWise retail partnerships e.g. developing point-of-sale and web-based marketing materials
- Support staff training efforts across all FishWise partnerships e.g. developing online training modules, reviewing presentations, etc.
In Support of Community Engagement (10%)
- Manage FishWise’s local community events (primarily Blue Drinks)
- Represent FishWise at tabling and local community events
- Engage with local ocean conservation community and collaborate when opportunities arise
- Write blogs/newsletter articles, as needed
- Bachelors degree in in marketing, communications or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience with increasing responsibility for design, implementation, and management of marketing and/or communications strategies
- Excellent professional writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to generate and deliver persuasive and clear verbal and written communications
- Conflict communication experience
- Experience with issue management and public advocacy issues desired
- Advanced computer proficiency including Mac OS X, Adobe CS, Microsoft Office and web publishing applications
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; must have credibility, good judgment, honesty, and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player and with flexibility in a rapidly changing environment
- Initiative to solve problems with energy and a positive attitude
- Effective skills in time management with ability to anticipate, prioritize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to handle sensitive information effectively and confidentially
- Knowledge of the seafood industry and/or sustainable seafood NGO landscape a plus
- Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans
Hours and Benefits:
- This is a full-time position of approximately 40hrs/week
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Full medical, dental, vision, life, 401K w/ match, vacation & sick leave
- Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9AM - 5PM
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required
Click here to apply.
The Intern’s primary responsibility is two-fold: 1) to provide support to existing member retailer partners and 2) provide general office support. The intern will work with existing Project Managers who are the main customer service contact for retail partners with questions or needs after the launch of the FW program. The intern will help them support these partnerships through materials development and shipment, newsletters and website updates. The Intern will conduct work to support major buyer partnerships with database work and species research. The Intern will also conduct general office work such as assisting with technology, cleaning, and purchasing supplies. The Project Managers will provide direction and oversight to the Intern.
• Provide support to the Project Managers to support independent partnerships including: creating promotional sheets in Adobe Illustrator, writing and editing monthly newsletter pieces, materials shipments, etc.
• Correct store audits as needed to help improve seafood label accuracy for retailers.
• Research the sustainability of various seafood products in order to recommend sourcing action for partners.
• Assist with research of and networking for product sourcing..
• Update and enter ratings and certifications in databases for seafood products.
• Summarize scientific reports/seafood news for internal and external communication.
• Conduct analyses of seafood inventory for partners using Filemaker and Excel.
• Write weekly blog for FishWise website.
• Update and develop new promotional materials. Print and collate as needed. Organize digital files and photos..
• Perform various clerical duties including typing, answering phones, ordering software, and general office upkeep.
• Opportunity to develop unique independent project based off personal interests in seafood sustainability.
• Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• Basic understanding and desire to learn more about seafood sustainability criteria and relevant stakeholders e.g. supply chain businesses, NGOs, and government agencies.
• Excellent Mac-computer skills including Microsoft Office & Adobe Suite.
• Strong communication skills and reliability.
• Ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple simultaneous projects.
• Experience working in a collaborative office or professional environment.
• Self-starter, motivated, and able to work with limited oversight.
• Ability to learn new skills quickly and independently, such as Filemaker database management, Joomla website maintenance, EndNote, etc.
• Self-motivation, flexibility, and a positive “can-do” attitude.
• This is a part-time position based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA.
• Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM
• Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required.
• Personal transportation is required.
Click here to apply.