For many seafood products with environmental concerns, buyers can help provide incentives for improvements that can result in more sustainable production. This makes it important for buyers to engage suppliers, producers, and other industry partners in improvement projects that result in measurable, positive change for the environment and seafood supply chain. FishWise can assist seafood businesses interfacing with improvement projects by:
- Establishing company specific protocols and monitoring tools to ensure credibility
- Providing 3rd party verification of improvement project participation
- Documenting company specific improvement project contributions/activities
- Collaborating with conservation organizations like Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP), World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and businesses throughout the supply chain on existing improvements projects
- Coordinating with U.S seafood businesses to engage government regulators and regional fisheries management organizations on improving fisheries management
- Using market incentives to reward fisheries making program improvements resulting in sustainable production
Once improvement projects are established, buyers can feel confident about their path toward sustainability and continue, or in some cases begin, sourcing from these fisheries or farms.